Thursday, November 19, 2015

Reverence



8 x 10 Oil on Archival Board

SOLD

A scene from my recent visit to The National Gallery of Art in DC.  The Sir Peter Paul Rubens painting "Daniel in the Lions' Den" depicts the Old Testament profit Daniel giving thanks to God for being miraculously saved from the lions.  It is said that Rubens described the painting as "Daniel among the lions, taken from life.  Original, entirely by my hand."  The North American lions Rubens used as his models were kept in the Royal menagerie at Brussels.

This is my third painting in my museum series. The original painting is quite large and is awe-inspiring.  I kept being drawn back to it.  Painting it was certainly a challenge.  I found it the most difficult thing I've attempted, but learned so much in the process. Rubens and I became good friends :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment