Friday, September 20, 2013

Gull Convention During Rough Seas


12 x 12 Oil on Gessobord

I have become really fond of gulls.  I realize they are pests at times, but when they are soaring, they are quite beautiful...and of course, anything that has to do with the ocean has a special place in my heart.  Monhegan Island is like Vegas to the gulls that hang out there.  The tourists sit on picnic benches eating and spilling, dropping food, discarding leftovers, and then get up and just leave a big mess.  It's pay day!  Not only that, but some of the cooks bring the fish remains and toss them in the air.  What a sight that is.  I tried to catch the gulls in action with my camera but they were too fast, and I'm pretty sure I was running in the other direction.  They were pretty intense!   Jamie Wyeth did paint them, and of course, brilliantly.  If you get a chance, check out his incredible work.  Here are gulls during their down time.

1 comment: