Sunday, June 29, 2014

Beach Zen



8 x 8 Oil on Gessobord

On-going paintings in the beach series.  I never seem to get tired of painting scenes like this.  I think it has to do with growing up on Long Island (NY).  Being surrounded by water, I spent everyday at either the ocean or the bay doing exactly what these two are doing.  When I was really young, I went to a day camp for six years, five days a week all summer on the Great South Bay.  The camp was pretty progressive for the times.  We grew vegetables, put on plays, had arts and crafts, had music, sailed, and swam three times a day in the bay.  Then came sleep away summer camp...Not a great experience.  No salt water, only a lake with leeches.  After the first girl came out with a leech on her, I knew I had to get out of there :-)  It was an eight week camp, but my parents had to pick me up after two weeks.  When I was a teenager, we spent a huge amount of time at the ocean at Jones Beach, or Fire Island.  Then later, with my kids at Amagansett.  There is no better way to grow up.  I now live on a lake, but I have to say I miss the smell of salt water.  When I paint these scenes, I can feel the sun and smell that beach smell....

No comments:

Post a Comment